Monday, December 7, 2009

Movie Monday: Blind Side

I've heard that the role of Mrs. Tuohy (the mom) in this movie was the role of Sandra Bullock's career, but it wasn't until I saw Blind Side yesterday that I really understood what people were talking about. All I can say is, if you see one movie this holiday season, make it this one. Really, it was that good.

Now, I'm all about the feel-good sports movies (I live with four men, so believe me when I say I've seen my share-- meaning ALL of them) so I thought I knew what to expect when I agreed to take my twelve-year-old to see this yesterday. I was wrong. This is more than just a feel-good movie-- it's a story of beating the odds, what it means to truly embrace the ideals of the holiday season, a social commentary, a fabulous Southern regional piece and a look at one of the strongest female characters I've seen in a film in a long, long time.

One of my favorite lines is when the tutor (Kathy Bates, who I have adored since Misery all those years ago) is about to be hired by Mrs. Tuohy and she says she has to tell her something that she doesn't tell anyone. You get the feeling that whatever it is, it's really bad. And then she pops off with "I'm a Democrat." Which was funny enough, after the build-up, but when Mr. Tuohy says later, "Who knew we'd have a black son before we ever met a Democrat," I couldn't help LMAO.

The whole movie is filled with poignant, sweet, funny little gems like that as you explore how one family changed the life of an inner-city boy born to a crack addict-- and how he really, truly changed their lives as well.

So, has anyone seen Blind Side yet-- or any other movie this season that they would like to recommend? With the holidays coming, I'm all about finding some great movies to take the kids-- or the hubby-- to.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracy
    Great review. I heard this movie had Sandra for the girls & sports for the guys. I can't wait ti see it. I've only seen New Moon which I loved bit not good for your little ones. I still like the old standbys Nightmare Before Christmas & National Lampoon Christmas Vacation.
    tennismom

    ReplyDelete